working HUA HIN

working in paradise city ...

Work permits

work permit The first consideration is that a foreigner must have a Work Permit to engage in any form of employment/business here.

Without one, you're in breach of Employment legislation and as such liable to arrest, imprisonment, fines and deportation.

All employment is governed by the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521 (AD 1978) and Amendments.

Before a work permit can be issued, the applicant must possess a Non-Immigrant Visa, category "B" for business. This can be obtained before arriving in the country from a Royal Thai Embassy or consulate. You should have a letter from your employer stating that a job has been offered and that they request the visa for you so they/you can apply for the work permit. The process normally takes a few days.

On entering Thailand, you will be given a permitted stay of 90 days and this can be extended within The Kingdom for a year once you have the work permit.

The papers required from your employer to get the work permit will include:
Copy of the details of your passport.
Copy of your Non Immigrant Visa.
Copy of your entry stamp.
A doctor's certificate stating you are in good health.
Passport photographs.
The relevant fee.

There might some additional documents that your employer needs to supply depending on the nature of the business.

NOTE: Thailand has recently been cracking down on foreigners teaching English here. You will be required to show a true original of a degree from abroad and a related English teaching qualification. You're best to check on the situation when you're ready to apply as it is liable to change.

The job description your employer supplies is vital. It must show that your position and responsibilities are such that a Thai person cannot perform them as well as you.
Once you've applied for the Work Permit, do not let your visa expire. The Permit is linked to it. If you do need to exit the country during the consideration process, get a re-entry permit otherwise you'll have to start the whole process again. The same goes for the Permit. Don't ever let it lapse.

You'll have to sign your Permit and you're supposed to keep it with you at all times when working. There are fines applicable if you dont. It only allows you to work at the business and address originally stated and if you leave the employment, you'll have 7 days to return the Permit and exit the country to make yourself legal, visa-wise, if you want to remain here.

As a final note, you will have to report to an Immigration Office every 90 days whilst you are working. You don't have to be present yourself, but your passport needs to be stamped.

The local labour department is located in Prachuab Khirikhan town, tel 032 601088.

Read more about Visa Info »

More information on labour laws and work permit requirements can be found on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website however some info may be dated so its best to consult the labour department directly or your lawyer.

Income Tax

Once your Work Permit is granted, you will need a tax ID card that is important for future dealings with the authorities. You will be taxed on a salary of 50,000 baht per month regardless of whether you earn this amount or not. Naturally your tax will increase if your salary exceeds this. Current rates of personal income tax are approximately 7-8%. Your employer can deduct your tax monthly and manage it for you or you can pay it yourself anually (around February or March) at the Hua Hin tax office on the railway road, tel 1133 for country wide tax issues. You will receive a document called a Por Ngor Dor 91 which you will need to renew your visa and prove that you have paid tax in Thailand. You will also get a discount from your tax bill if you are married to a Thai national or support children.




tourism hua hin  HHAD Bangsaphan HHBD Khao Takiab  Guesthouses Hua Hin Map
Media Accommodation hua hin taxi Hua Hin Golf developments Ban Krut 
link to us
© This website, all of its written content, and many of the images therein are copyright Medianet Asia Co., Ltd.
In accordance with the 1998 The Digital Millennium Copyright Act any parties found duplicating content from this website will be subject to legal action.